- Public Space and Video Projections: A Conversation with The Illuminator Art Collective The Illuminator Art Collective shares how video projection can be used as part of protests and civic movements as well as practical tips and lessons-learned on how to set up and a run video projection set-up.
- Protestolarda Video Çekimi Nasıl Yapılır Değişim İçin Bir Video Kılavuzu A Turkish-language guide to filming protests.
- Progress for Kenya through the Lens of a Camera Having kept peace throughout the 2013 presidential elections, Kenyans look forward. Bukeni Waruzi explains the current situation, and how incorporating video can help to resolve remaining tensions.
- All Eyes on Kenya–and Cameras, too. As polling stations close their doors today after huge voter turnout in, everyone is wondering: will this election remain peaceful, or will it follow in the path of the turbulent 2007 election? Kenyan citizen journalists, trained by WITNESS, weigh in.
- The Journey from ‘My Voice’ to ‘Our Voices’ I went to South Africa to teach filmmaking to youth, but what I really wanted was to foster critical consciousness—the ability to question authority and turn a lens on society, literally and figuratively. I soon realized that these youth were more than willing to question—and they started with me.
- Can Cell Phones Save Kenya’s Elections? Across the country, pockets of Kenyans are determined to use video to protect their democracy during the March 4th elections. Bukeni Waruzi just returned from training these activists and citizen journalists, and here's what he taught.
- Key for a Key: Unlocking a Video Advocacy Training in Brazil What's it like to be in a WITNESS video training? This post brings you inside the classroom in Porto Alegre, Brazil, where two dozen activists are working to save their communities from forced evictions.
- Anatomy of a Good Advocacy Video At WITNESS, we rotate facilitators at our weekly staff meetings. If assigned as facilitator, the person is responsible for doing some research and sharing a current advocacy video of interest.
- Video Advocacy Training for Youth Activists in Egypt After the recent revolution, the country now finds itself in a transitional period that is accompanied by a new set of challenges. The transitional government, led by military leadership, is still struggling to set up a concrete plan for real democracy, human rights and the well-being of all citizens. With the elections scheduled for later this year, Egyptians believe that they have a long journey ahead.
- Forced Evictions Training in Rio: Social Activism as Samba Whether it was talking social movement strategy and video action plans or singing samba underneath the stars, an overwhelming energy of solidarity and brotherly and sisterly love pulsed through WITNESS’ video advocacy training in Rio.
- Video Advocacy’s Role in the Unprecedented Success of an Indigenous Group at the African Union in Feb 2010 In this brief video (produced by Ellie Magnuson), my colleague Bukeni Waruzi, Program Manager for Africa and the Middle East, gives a spirited overview of the background, timeline, and strategy of our partnership with CEMIRIDE, a Kenyan organization representing the Endorois community in their long legal struggle to return to their indigenous lands around Lake Bogoria.